It’s been a long while since I’ve updated the gear page. Here’s what I’m using on the road these days:
- Breedlove Limited Edition Ed Gerhard Signature Model Dreadnought. Figured Sapele/Adirondack
- Breedlove Revival Series dreadnought. Figured Sapele/Adirondack
- Breedlove Hawaiian (Weissenborn style) made from figured Myrtlewood.
- In both six string guitars I use a Fishman Matrix undersaddle transducer combined with a Joe Mills mini condenser mic inside the guitar.
- For the Weissenborn I use a Fishman Neo D Humbucker.
- The six string gets plugged in to a Grace Design Felix, which is a “blender” style preamp. I’ve tried pretty much every other blender on the market and Felix beats them all. It’s a super high quality piece of real audio gear, not a chintzy guitar toy.
- The Weissenborn gets plugged into a Fishman Platinum Pro EQ DI. I still use the same one I’ve traveled with for many, many years and it’s never let me down. Fishman has updated this box and it’s equally fantastic.
- On stage the guitars rest in guitar stands made by D&A. They’re small, light, secure and durable. Love em.
- I use and endorse D’Addario strings. I’ve not found another brand of strings that suits me like D’Addario.
- On the road the six string gets a phosphor bronze J24 set (the Signature Dread usually gets a .014 for the high E.)
- The Weissenborn gets a “custom” set. I start with a phosphor bronze J17 set and replace the low E, B and high E with .59, .018 and .015 respectively.
- I’m using both the G7th and the Planet Waves NS capo. Both are excellent capos.
- For the six string I’m using a large Dunlop glass slide.
- For Weissenborn it’s a Shubb/Pearse SP-2.
- All guitars travel in Calton cases.
Gary and Wayne Miller says
Ed, Thanks so much for sharing your passion of music and your generosity in support of the Bow Lake Grange hall. Last night (6-1-19) was the first time my wife and I experienced this Grange facility and your live music- both were a tremendous treat!
Looking forward to hearing more of your music, through the cd’s we purchased at your show and hopefully catching some of your live performances in NH in the coming months!
One request perhaps… any chance you do when my guitar gently weeps?
Be well and again thank for a great evening out!
I have a gear question going back to your recording of Wild Mountain Thyme. I’m amazed by the sustain and resonance of your guitar and the way you let it breathe. Would you mind sharing the make/model of the instrument and strings that you used on that recording? It’s hauntingly beautiful recording – thanks so much for your music.
Hi, thanks for your kind words and question.
The guitar is a ’94 Breedlove C2, Mahogany/bearclaw Sitka.
D’Addario phosphor bronze strings, basically a J24 set.